Thursday, June 16, 2011

The desert is calling

PHOTO: http://www.joshuatreehighlandshouse.com/jthh/galleries/index.html

The Joshua Tree Highlands House Artist Residency Program has awarded me a 6-week residency starting July 10, 2011. The Joshua Tree National Park is just east of Palm Springs, CA, and I will be one of 5-6 artists staying in vacation homes built into the landscape just outside the Park's north entrance.

This is my first official blog. I've kept digital journals of previous residencies in Georgia, Wyoming and Oregon, which can be seen on my website at http://www.bettyhageman.com. But this will be easier and I hope more of you will be able to enjoy the exciting discoveries with me as I hike, photograph, draw, write and paint in the desert.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Betty,
    We've not met but I did hear about your work and Fred gave me your website yesterday, when we met up with he and Jim in Portland.
    So glad to see your wonderful work!! Saw that you did a residency at Sitka last spring. We live six miles inland from there, about four miles east of the Otis Cafe. We have a place in JT and live there about eight months of the year. I look forward to seeing what wonderful things your discover!!
    Your work resonates with me and I will check back on line to see what you are doing.

    My husband James Okeefe is part of the JTAG group of artists. I'm a handmade paper person,
    and fan of lichens.
    Really inspired by your work!
    Nan Okeefe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan,

    Thanks so much for your interest! You live in a beautiful part of the world. I loved my time at Sitka Center! I'd love to see your handmade papers, and I'll look for James Okeefe art at the gallery.I do handmade papers as well, looking for ways to incorporate it more into my art.

    Lichens are amazing critters. Did you know they are a combination of plant and animal? The fungus structure houses and shelters algal cells, which do the photosynthesis for both.

    Your support means a lot. I'm inspired to go do lichen art right now.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete