Monday, July 25, 2011

Cross-Park Expedition


Yesterday I drove entirely through the Park, from the NW area of Joshua Trees and boulders down to the SE areas of ocotilla, chollo cactus and Cottonwood Springs (above and below). The sky was almost entirely clouded over, and I drank a gallon of water, but the heat was still more than I could take for more than a mile or two of hiking.



This lizard has beautiful pale, delicate markings to blend in, and looks so silly when it runs, with hind end up in the air and tail curved overhead like a scorpion.


The Cholla Cactus Garden is one place you wouldn't want to run amok. Their dead lower parts are as beautiful as the creamy top spines.



Spiny balls fall off the cactus plants and spread about in the wind. It's Trouble with Tribbles in the desert.


Erosion does fascinating things, like this row of fossil teeth. No, it's all rock, but I do think of mastodon dentures...


This would be my first choice of campsites.


Pretty, but don't touch. Can you imagine being in charge of small children in this environment?

This morning two ground squirrels were darting about outside my bathroom window. This guy was ready to take me on.

Now it's back to the studio for me, try to do something brilliant today.

No comments:

Post a Comment